There are some basic truths about wagering requirements at bingo sites, also called ‘play through’ (which are different at casino sites). And, there are a lot of complicated variations on this restriction across sites. Bottom line: players prefer either no ‘wagering’ or lower requirements!
Before we simplify this issue for you, let’s look at a few bingo sites with low wagering requirements first:
Top Sites for Low Wagering Requirements
What could be better than no wagering requirements? That's what you get @ mFortune, for its £5 free bonus & its 100% deposit bonus.Visit website for full T&C's.
Lucky Admiral CasinoYour 1st deposit at Lucky Admiral can land you up to 500 free spins on Starburst or Fluffy Favourites! Visit website for full T&C's.
You don’t need to worry about wagering requirements here at all, as you get to keep whatever you win.Visit website for full T&C's.
Terms and conditions are applicable to all offers, read more on their sites.
Wagering Requirements Explained
Wagering requirements also can be referred to by these other names at bingo sites:
- just ‘wagering’
- play through
- bonus rollover or turnover
What wagering means practically is that before withdrawing winnings, you must bet a factor of what you received as cash (no deposit) bonus. The same goes for what you received as a deposit bonus or ‘cash match’, including the amount you deposited.
The Wagering Factor
The betting factor of the wagering requirement can be as low as 2X or as high as 6X or more at bingo sites — by the way, wagering is much, much higher at casinos. Why, oh why, do bingo sites do this to us? There are 3 basic reasons that play through rules exist:
- Online bingo destinations want to encourage (more like, force) players to stick around and play as much as possible.
- It would be bad business to let players just withdraw bonuses like cash and walk away without playing at the site.
- Legally, bingo sites must protect themselves from regulations aimed at preventing e-criminals from using bingo site accounts for money laundering.
The Fine Print Details
You see, as bingo bonuses go, there are ‘sticky money’ ones and there are ‘real money’ bonuses, first of all. The sticky ones are amounts that cannot turn into cash you can withdraw even after wagering. The real ones can become cash you can take home (but usually with higher play through factors!).
Plenty of Red Tape
As you might expect, bingo sites make fulfilling wagering requirements a bit complicated. There is really no way to cut through the red tape and ‘clear your bonus’ and withdraw winnings unless you read the Terms and Conditions of each offer.
One very important rule that most players don’t know is this: at most sites, if you mistakenly request a withdrawal prior to fulfilling your wagering then you will zap (as in forfeit) all of your bonus balance!
Here is a quick shortlist of the kinds of complications you may encounter with clearing your bonus and fulfilling wagering requirements, for your reference:
- not all games count towards wagering
- usually you must bet on bingo to clear bingo bonuses
- there are time limits on completing bonus turnovers
- there are minimum withdrawal limits on bingo sites
- you will have varying wagering on multiple bonuses
- you may be able to opt out of bonuses
- even cash deposits will have a matching wagering requirement
Are All Wagering Requirements Equal?
No, a site may have certain wagering rules for free bingo cash and different rules for deposit match bonuses (which may or may not include the principle a player deposits as well).
There are a few different ways that a site can add wagering requirements onto your account. One way is to still let you withdraw, but any funds that haven’t been cleared will be forfeited. Other sites may specify that you can’t withdraw any of your real cash balance until your wagering requirements have been completely fulfilled.
We’re always telling our readers to look into the T&Cs of a site, as wagering requirements are really important for you to understand. Here you’ll find what you need to do to be able to withdraw, as well as special terms that may apply to that site alone.
For example, some sites will specify here that even the payment method you use will influence the wagering requirements, as alternate payment methods can incur larger requirements.
Are There Time Limits on Wagering Requirements?
As we said above, there are usually maximum periods of time in which to clear a bonus by betting the required wagering factor. If you don’t do it in time, you’ll forfeit the bonus and winnings.
Are there sites with No Wagering Requirements?
We’re seeing more and more sites placing an emphasis on doing away with wagering requirements. Entire networks, like the Dragonfish Real Money Network, have launched recently featuring no wagering requirements bingo sites. Then we have keep what you win sites, like PocketWin and mFortune that have always had a commitment to getting rid of wagering requirements.
Other things to Consider
There are other things that you’ll want to think about when playing online, as these will affect your winnings:
- How large the bonus offers are
- Whether you’ll be getting cashback on your losses
- The RTP of the site and games
- The number and value of the promotions on the site
Again, you’ll want to have a good look around a site to decide whether it’s worth it to play there.
When it comes to satisfying the wagering requirements of a site, you may want to change up your betting strategy. To bet more will mean that you get rid of the requirements quicker, for example you’d wager through a lot more with £1 bets than with penny ones. There are many ways to play online but when it comes to getting rid of the wagering requirements, you may need to be a bit more thoughtful.
Terms and Conditions
Lastly, make sure you consider other T&Cs, like:
- Not all games will contribute the same amount to wagering requirements, for instance wagers on blackjack often don’t count towards them at all.
- Different types of bonus, like instant games or free spins, can have different wagering requirements. Generally, games bonuses require you to wager more than bingo ones.
- There are other aspects that may stop you from withdrawing, like withdrawal limits and a minimum deposit prior to withdrawal – even on bingo sites with no wagering requirements.
Know the Rules!
It may seem like bingo sites have rigged their bonuses so you can never escape their wagering requirements. But cheer up, because not all bingo sites are out to get you, and many are surprisingly honest and generous about wagering.